To upload multiple files into the ClientView Document Center, the app supports a “bulk upload” mechanism to quickly get a group of files into the system and sorted into the appropriate Client’s Document Center.
Overview of Bulk Upload
This feature can be accessed by only Administrators of the system and is available under Communications > Documents > Actions. You’ll notice an button that you can click to begin the process.
Rules for Bulk Upload
- the uploaded archive file MUST be a .zip file.
- the uploaded archive file MUST NOT contain folders or sub-folders.
- the uploaded archive file MUST contain 1 or many individual files.
- the uploaded archive file MUST contain individual files that adhere to the following naming conventions:
- individual filenames MUST contain either an ACCOUNT ID, CLIENT ID, or CLIENT ALIAS in order to be processed.
- individual files MUST have the ACCOUNT ID, CLIENT ID, or CLIENT ALIAS separated from the rest of the filename by underscores (“_”; before and after the identifier; “_” after the identifier IF the identifier is the start of the filename).
The system will take each individual filename and split it apart by underscores (“_”) and compare each section of the filename against the following (in order):
- ACCOUNT ID (as defined in Households)
- CLIENT ID (as defined in Households)
- CLIENT ALIAS (as defined in Data Overlays; clientIDAlias overlay)
An individual file will ONLY be stored if there is a 100% match (case sensitive, space sensitive, etc.) to one of the above identifiers.
Bulk Uploading Files
Once you click on the button, you’ll have a pop-up with a few options.
Category (recommended): fill this in to provide a “Category” value to each file in the upload. It’s a recommended field as this helps users sort and organize files into a broader category.
Description (recommended): fill this in to provide a “Description” value to each file in the upload. It’s recommended to provide some color as to what the contents of the file are.
File (required): select the .zip file you are going to upload.
Select Client: select a client(s) that should receive this archive. Only use this option if the contents of the .zip file are going to specific clients AND the files do not contain an identifier for clients.
Prepend Date to File?: select this if you want to prepend the current date to the filename.
Append Category to File?: select this if you want to append the category value you entered to the end of the filename.
Notify Users?: select this if you want the app to send an email out to registered users that receive a file.
Include Message: enter a value here if you want the email notification to registered users to contain a custom message.
Preview Upload?: select this if you want the app to process the archive and email you the results. This will not actually upload the files.
Email upload results to: enter the email address of who should get the Preview results.
When you’ve finished with the upload parameters, click the button to upload the file.
Example Bulk Upload file
Let’s say you have 2 clients in the app with Client IDs of JSMITH and JDOE. JSMITH has 2 accounts: 9999‑999 & 9999‑888 and JDOE has 1 account 9999‑777. You have generated the following PDF reports with file names of: JSMITH_Statement_Q4_2015.pdf and JDOE_Statement_Q4.pdf.
- These 2 files are zipped together (without folders) into a file called archive.zip.
- The user then goes to Communications > Documents > Actions and clicks on the button.
- The user then enters Statements into the Category field.
- The user then enters Q4 2015 into the Description field.
- The user then selects the .zip file from their computer.
- The user does NOT select the Prepend… or Append… checkboxes.
- The user does select the Notify Users checkbox.
- The user enters “Here’s your Q4 Statement.” in the Include Message field.
- The user does NOT select the Preview checkbox (let’s assume they followed the above instructions already and did preview the results).
- The user clicks on Upload.
The results are:
- JSMITH_Statement_Q4_2015.pdf is processed and the file is uploaded to the Document Center for JSMITH since the filename contains JSMITH and that CLIENT ID matches a defined CLIENT ID in the system.
- JDOE_Statement_Q4.pdf is processed and the file is uploaded to the Document Center for JDOE since the filename contains JDOE and that CLIENT ID matches a defined CLIENT ID in the system.
- Both JSMITH and JDOE, if there are registered user(s) associated with these CLIENT IDs, will receive a notification email with a custom message saying “Here’s your Q4 Statement”.
- You will receive an email from the system verifying the uploads were successful.